Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Turner Prize Shocker!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : fine art & printmaking
View previous topic :: View next topic  

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Latest Turner Prize Shocker!! Reply with quote

Britain's most famous art award is usually steeped in controversy - not to mention other unpleasant substances.

Previous winners have included Chris Ofili, who incorporated elephant dung into his paintings and Damien Hirst, famed for his pickled shark. And Tracy Emin just missed out on the prize with her unmade, soiled bed.

The art world was in shock yesterday after an artist who can actually paint was nominated for the Turner Prize. Gillian Carnagie, 34 is known for her still-life vases of flowers. She is the first painter to be nominated in 5 years. Her work features a withering bunch of flowers in a bottle and according to the judges, captures "fundamental properties of painting."

However, in keeping with tradition are Darren Almond, 34 displaying bus stops he saw outside the Auschwitz Museum and John Lambie, 41 who transforms everyday objects like cupboards into muti-coloured sculptures.

Sir Nicholas Serota, chairman of the judges said, "The shortlist shows the extraordinary depth of both experience and talent in British art." (Excepts from The Daily Mirror 3/6/05) Your opinions please?
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

Goldenchris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: It can only be a good thing Reply with quote

But somethimes you wonder if they make decisons like these on a political basis afetr the Turner prize has come under a fair amount of critisism of late for not nomination more traditional artists for the prize.

I have to admit that I haven't been as impressed with teh candidates for tha last couple of years.. wasn't so keen on the very "War" and political cbased nominations for the last year..

Hydrogen powered bycicle for this year though?!?!

Perhaps you should organise an Artistic diretory trip to the Tate Modern this year Jen?

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm! Yes, they could be including a traditional painter to apease artists / the public / critics but that would betray the underlying purpose of the Turner Prize which seems to be to shock and promote the controversy of conceptual art.

Personally, unless done in an alternative or vibrant way, I find paintings of flowers in vases and bowls of fruit quite boring ie: Van Gogh's Sunflowers. No offence but I think although infamous, I find this painting quite ugly and sluggish.

However, apparently, a watercolour cactus has been nominated which has been painted using the waste water product of an environment-friendly moped, Simon Starling, 38 rode across Spain??? I'd probably find a painting of a cactus more interesting as it is an unusual and quirky plant!
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

marbles
Professional

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Britain's most famous art award is usually steeped in controversy

I believe this is because it is steeped in pomposity. The real artists are the ones who simply have to say that something is art and it suddenly becomes art. They must be as creative as God,if not God, to command such power over us mere spectators. Im not buying it. If a piece of work doesn't inspire me or project positive energy in the form of creativity towards my retina, then I decide that it is NOT art. I don't care how acclaimed someone is.

The individual is the ultimate art critic. If you are gonna let some art 'mogul' tell you what is or isn't art, you might as well sell your soul right now.

I agree with Jen about the dried sunflowers. You can go into context, depth, light, mood etc but at the end of the day it doesn't inspire me. When i look at it, I feel like i might as well be looking at a transparent screen but a murky transparent screen - like dishwater - yes - dull!!

I apologise if i show an ignorance in fine art appreciation but with my limited experience I am still able to give a valid opinion which im sure many would agree with (except Van Gogh!). I am not saying what is or is not art, just throwing into question our methods of assessment.

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess art & design is subjective, opinion based. I always wonder how tutors, critics can accurately grade a piece of artwork? Its a totally different subject to mathematics or science which has a definite right or wrong answer.

I agree some conceptual art may seem ridiculous and pretentious, as you say labelled as art by someone who has the ego and "gift of the gab" to blag their way into an art gallery. But I suppose it is still more interesting to see a piece of controversial contemporary art ie: a pink cupboard with holes??? than a "same old" traditional painting which has nothing new to offer. Whether you think it is art on not though, is another matter.

mmm - a trip to the tate? Not sure I can stretch to that, only have a few . Maybe we can get in a bottle of wine each and watch Turner on the telly whilst frantically chatting online about which artist we'd nominate for the prize?

Wendy W
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I once read/heard/saw someone say that if they were ever nominated for the Turner Prize, they'd probably quit altogether. I don't remember who though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : fine art & printmaking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: