Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damian Hirst new paintings/controversey?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : fine art & printmaking
View previous topic :: View next topic  

paranoidandroid
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Damian Hirst new paintings/controversey? Reply with quote

Quote:
Hirst's latest collection, a series of oil paintings called The Elusive Truth, have courted controversy because they were produced largely by his assistants.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4389425.stm

Does it matter who makes an artwork, the artist or assistants? Many of the painters from the Renaissance period also had assistants who did some of the work, so it's not a new thing.

Is the idea the most important part behind an artwork, and therefore the artist deserves 100% credit? Or is the audience being duped/conned?

Does the fact that the works are paintings make any difference?

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm - I think no artwork can be completely original. Artists often use influences, styles and techniques from other creatives, particularly in graphic design. There is a large deal of canabalism going on, aspects are taken and incorporated into a new creation but manipulated enough so the designer can call it his or her own. They have in effect generated something original, a new idea.

I think the concept is very important but ideally the innovator should realise it himself if possible otherwise credit should also be given to the technical skills of the assistants who have helped make the concept a reality. Maybe a rundown of everyone involved is in order ie: Original concept - Damien Hurst, Illustrator - Joe Bloggs, Painter - Jane Bloggs.

Then again, these acknowledgments may grow to infinite propotions and the painting may become less memorable. Maybe it is the last person to touch the canvas who should be revered? The one who brought everything together in the end. Just thinking out loud.

PS: This amused me:
Quote:
Hirst added that his spin paintings and a pig cut in half which moves like a bacon slicer had been "a bit silly".

Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

marbles
Professional

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what you are saying, Jen, I mean 'opticalparadox'!!!!. I don't think it would be a problem having a list of credits. If you think about films, there are hundreds maybe thousands of names associated with each film yet it is always credited to the director. So in effect it's their baby but everyone else gets a mention. Sounds fair to me.

If an artist has an idea that requires a group collaboration to make it feasible to do, i don't think there's anything wrong in that - he or she is still 'the director'.

Also, if that artist was forced to spend years on one piece of work due to it's intricacies, it may be at the expense of other amazing pieces he / she could be doing. Many opportunities could be overlooked while spending time doing something that other people could assist with.

The only thing is that I think the 'director' / artist should have full artistic control of the project and that the end result is a true representation of the artist's ideas and not an interpretation employed by their assisting 'hired hands'. This could be where it becomes someone else's work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : fine art & printmaking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: