Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this how human beings will evolve in the future?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Is this how human beings will evolve in the future? Reply with quote

I spend hours pottering on my laptop. I have a wireless network card and even surf the net in the bathroom. I used to get overwhelmed and headachy by the shere mass of information but nowadays I find it liberating. The internet seems to provide a type of freedom / lifestyle: to exist in a completely virtual world away from the harsh realities of the physical, to share and absorb knowledge and the ideal way for shy 'creative' types to connect with others ie: I hate using the phone. Though, I sometimes wonder if my graphic design tutor was right when he suggested that with the convienience of technology and the net to communicate, all our bodily limbs will eventually become useless and retract into our bodies and we'll be left with nothing but a brain enclosed in a giant pink blob. Is this how human beings will evolve in the future, do you think? - Jen

In addition: I guess it depends on how technology adapts as to which parts of our bodies become redundant ie: we could all end up using voice-activated machines or may even eventually provide instructions telepathically perhaps?
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

Last edited by opticalparadox on Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

paranoidandroid
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we'll be left with nothing but a brain enclosed in a giant pink blob. Is this how human beings will evolve in the future, do you think?

Maybe a blob with mechanised parts-

At the moment I kind of favour the theory that we will begin to accept that there are biological limitations to our evolution as humans, and because there do not appear to be the same limitations on technology, so eventualy technology overtakes us in evolution.

So perhaps we will begin to incorporate this technology into our organic bodies, to enhance our own lives creating a new hybrid kind of human. As the evolution advances the percentace of organic parts against mechanised parts diminishes, maybe to the extent that there is 0 organic left?

Of course it would be likely that there would be a significant proportion of the human race which would not allow this tecnological advancement onto themselves, but how would these beings be able to compete against the superior technologicaly advanced beings?

Sounds like science fiction at the moment but could it become science fact?

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Science and Religion = spirituality Reply with quote

You could be right there. Human beings could slowly be replaced completely by machines. The thought of artificial intelligence taking over mankind is a real prospect that some believe is more threatening than nuclear war. This is always the problem with any advance of technology though, it becomes dangerous if the human beings developing it are not spiritually (not religion) advanced enough to use it wisely.

Quote:
It wasn't possible nuclear accident, or climate change, but the hypothetical threat posed by technological advances in genetics, robotics and nanotechnology. Genetics; in that we might intentionally or accidentally create a plague; robotics, where we shall be able to download human consciousness into machines and nanotechnology where a nano-machine might turn the biosphere into dust in a matter of days.

Full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4387563.stm
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

marbles
Professional

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following this thread and i'm interested in all of the points raised. I would however like to raise my concern that in whatever way we evolve, I find it worrying that we are doing so rapidly on a technoloigcal basis but hardly at all on a spiritual basis.

Technology is here to aid us but I believe that our ultimate aim is of a spiritual nature and that as a race we are missing the point.

There are so many fundamentals that we haven't fully grasped as a collective race. We can't live peacefully together. We don't treat the earth with any respect. We only know how to use a fraction of our brains (and we don't do that very well!!!). I know this one sounds a bit dramatic but I truly believe that we do not understand the power of love.

It is in my opinion that love could be our saviour but if we trade that enlightenment for the next pentium processor, I think we may find our technological advances of no use to us.

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"In the process of connecting everything to everything, computers elevate the power of the small player... .Instead of enforcing uniformity, they promote heterogeneity and autonomy. Instead of sucking the soul from human bodies, turning computer-users into an army of dull clones, networked computers -- by reflecting the networked nature of our own brains and bodies -- encourage the humanism of their users. Because they have taken on the flexibility, adaptability, and self-connecting governance of organic systems, we become more human, not less so, when we use them." - (Out of Control, by Kevin Kelly)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : miscellaneous All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: