Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : fine art & printmaking
View previous topic :: View next topic  

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder Reply with quote

I've started painting with acrylics over the last few weeks. I have read a couple of basic books with ideas on techniques and used them to create some interesting effects. I have just done an anatomical heart diagram showing how the blood pumps through red and blue areas.

I have used thick white paint (impasto style) to create veins and arteries rising from the heart and painted them their respective colours. It seems more effective than painting thick straight off in i.e. red or blue, if that makes sense? More translucent perhaps. The background is covered in bloody red and I used clingfilm to create a textured effect that appears like small veins or the roots of a tree.

Next I am planning on painting a skull using broken eggshells for texture. Very Happy

PS: I am still doing a menial job, which is where I have been occupied for the last 5-6 months but am considering jacking it in again as I feel rather hollow and run-down working in the chaotic real world. I've been ill too and I believe it is partially from all the negativity and stress I absorb out there away from the sanctity of my hermit's cave. Either way, I seem to need creativity and/or spirituality in my life.
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

RMCrookes
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad to hear you're painting Jen - that's great.

Sorry to hear you haven't been so good - can't wait to see your paintings. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
http://www.zazzle.co.uk/rwcrux

Wendy W
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, do we get to see? Very Happy

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I don't think it's easy to take a decent photo of artwork, well not for an amateur like me. I wonder if I could scan it. Think it needs a few finishing touches first.

I must say I have enjoyed painting so far. I wonder if 'Healing Through Art' actually helped me since I have been much less concerned with the finished product and have been just enjoying the process, experimenting etc. It can be rather relaxing. That was always a huge problem in the past with me trying anything new, silencing the inner critic, the perfectionist within.
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humble beginnings but I'll keep practicing..

Wendy W
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.
I'm not sure what it is about it but I really like that last one.

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it's a little deformed but maybe that's what makes it interesting. Del thinks it looks like Beavis' (of Butthead) skull.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : fine art & printmaking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: