Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The influence of fashion on art and design

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : fashion & textiles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

VLAHAKISA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: The influence of fashion on art and design Reply with quote

I feel that fashion heavily influences my design work, does anyone else feel this?

I often look to fashion for inspiration, this is probably because I have a very pop art style.

Regards

Amanda

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say that fashion has had a very strong influence on me. Maybe subconsciously perhaps...I have always been reluctant to follow fashion trends or go for clothes with labels and brands. I want to be an individual but then again maybe this is fashionable as it is controversial, if you know what I mean? (Like some of the shockers you see on the catwalk)

In art college, my graphic design class was filled with fashionable people who were interested in styles and the latest designer handbag. May be this is part of being a graphic designer? But I'd come in wearing whatever I felt represented me as a person...tie-dye skirts, black boots. Can't say that nobody ever paid attention to me, whether they thought I was a "space cadet," quite possibly. I have only ever worn high-heels once and it was a nightmare. I guess I would have blended in more if I had taken illustration but then again, even they were reserved by comparison.

Later, I acquire a job in a web department, in an office. Everyone is wearing suits and ties and looking very professional. I have toned down my clothes considerably ie: I wear black trousers and a cranberry smart/casual v neck but there still exists elements of the scruffy art student ie: I wear a sheep-skin coat (fake) and my black boots are scuffed at the edges.

It sounds strange but I see these as representing my integrity and a non-conformist attitude. I guess this rebellious streak comes out in my design work as I want to produce something original, innovative and controversial but then again I am still influenced by popular design styles and techniques so in effect I am following fashion, aren't I? Mmm - confusing.
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

VLAHAKISA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: What is fashion? Reply with quote

Fashion has many faces, your attire is a fashion because it is worn by many people who subscribe to the same style as yourself....it's a distinctive style I've seen worn by many.

One does not have to be wearing high heels and carry a designer hand bag to be called fashionable ;-))

Fashion doesn't have to equal mainstream, if enough people are wearing a particular style, it is a 'fashion' of sorts....

Regards

Amanda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : fashion & textiles All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: