Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The God Delusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: The God Delusion Reply with quote

While I agree with many of Richard Dawkins' views on religious fundamentalism, it frustrates me how he acuses anyone who believes in God or who is open to the possibilities beyond life & death as being foolish, deluded, ignorant or incapable of rational, independent thought. And it particularly annoyed me how he'd bang on about religious folks needing to raise their consciousness (what I would consider to be a spiritual term). He may have implied he was more 'enlightened' too. Talk about holier than thou.

Very Happy

He also insinuated that agnostics were fence-sitters, even though he went on to claify thoughts. I'd rather be open-minded and balanced than have extremist views in either scientific or religious thought, it doesn't mean I don't have any opinions. Some of it I found rather enjoyable & entertaining but a lot of it I found frustrating, condescending & repetitive. Like most books, it probably made me think &/or re-affirm my views but I don't think my belief system has particularly changed.

I made some basic notes but not enough to compile a decent blog. I might go through it again at some point in the future & summerise his arguments... 'cos I'm such a nerd.

Shocked
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

Wendy W
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never read any of his work.
Personally I'm an athiest through and through, but I would never say people with religious beliefs were foolish and deluded. I do however think they're wrong and I'm right, but I'm not so arrogant as to rule out the option that I've got it wrong. I don't think I am, but I might be.

Colin Ward
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have religious views and if I've deluded myself, it's been a very satisfactory delusion, thank you very much. Razz

I've got a sneaking admiration of atheists. Not political atheists, who claim non-belief to look smart, but hard-nosed, 3AM-and-I've-had-a-nightmare, I-faced-death-and-didn't-change-my-mind atheists .

marbles
Professional

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that if I don't word this correctly, feathers will be ruffled. Even if I do word it correctly, it will be very unpopular.

I totally accept whatever religious views people have have as long as they extend the same courtesy to others without feeling the need to take lives to emphasise these beliefs.

However, with all due respect, I can't help feeling that people who can believe in 'organised' religions are not as evolved as say, atheists. Think for yourselves people. Do you need to be told how it is? Especially by people who only know as much as you. Nothing.

Life is complicated enough without needing to put faith into external ideas. If you need to have faith, have it in yourself. Therefore, maybe we are all God.

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I can't help feeling that people who can believe in 'organised' religions are not as evolved as say, atheists."

Hmm... careful, you sound like Dawkins.
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

marbles
Professional

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read in your first post Jen, I think I actually agree with Dawkins except about things beyond life and death. I think you have to be open minded but believing in an organised religion is, in my view, subscribing to someone else's point of view.

Jess
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The God Delusion Reply with quote

On this topic one is divided, on one hand I find traditionalists who do believe in organised religion foolish and in most ways misguided but since one is a follower Wicca, One can not completely disregard some elements (like the wish to believe in the god and goddess), I do however find that some organised religions destructive and dangerous.

Though one is Wicca, it is to be noted that I am often a deviant with a open mind ready to embrace myself as someone on level with them I worship.

-Note to marbles, one is get to your posts in time, the need to reinvent ones self is powerful at the moment and that combined with work leaves ones time at a minimum, worry not, one has not left you-

Blessed Be

Jessica

Owner & Head Photographer
fiveCARDSdown,
Head of Creative Direction
BLOODred,

All images and designs posted by Jessica Ottowell/mkf5Cd
2009 fiveCARDSdown Group

Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The God Delusion Reply with quote

opticalparadox wrote:
He also insinuated that agnostics were fence-sitters
It's not that I'm on the fence - it's because I couldn't give a f***!..... Razz

UK Business Labs Forum - The chemistry in B2B

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is apathy, rather than agnosticism. Very Happy

Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 'apathy' suggests idleness - my contention is that I've looked at the religion, I've looked at the science and, well, I couldn't give a damn who's right. It's just not important.

UK Business Labs Forum - The chemistry in B2B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : miscellaneous All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: