Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intel-Macs And Universal Binary
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : general discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Intel-Macs And Universal Binary Reply with quote

Bought myself (well, with a little financial aid) a new Macbook Pro. It's fabulous, 17" super sharp resolution (and built in isight webcam) but it has taken me a week or 2 to transfer everything from my old laptop and to ensure that all the design programs etc are working efficiently.

It has an intel processor which means that applications must be universal binary rather than powerpc >> http://www.macintouch.com/imacintel/ubinaries.html - However, some applications still work fine due to the installed Rosettta emulator. Been tearing my hair out but things seem to be coming together at last. Selling my old one on ebay as of today. Also purchased an Epson R220 cd / dvd printer for 60. Again, no end of problems setting up but worth it because now it's printing like a dream.

Plus, purchased 'Doom 3' for mac - http://www.apple.com/games/trailers/doom3/ - It's not something I have experimented with before, always used my friends PCs or the playstation as they are more geared towards gamers. (Already signed a petition to encourage developers to create 'Half-Life' for OSX). So game choices seem limited, particularly as they 2 must be universal compatible. Anyway, am looking forward to shooting 'em demons back to hell!

No more spending for a while now. (Bad girl!) Luckily seem to be getting some regular ad banner work so that should help justify it. Not particularly materialistic but there are obviously a few gadgets I need to survive daily existence, particularly if I am to continue working as a web designer. (Okay, the game is not necessary!)
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

RMCrookes
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's a lucky girl then? Don't you just love that smell when you open the box!
Still can't quite find enough reasons to justify any hardware upgrade at the moment but those macworlds just keep dropping through the door tempting me to naughtiness.
Can't seem to bear to part with old machines as they are still all working nicely and aren't they just works of art in themselves?
Still on a G4 dual processor for my main work machine and have a 17 titanium powerbook for on the move. - just recently networked an old cube (remember them) down into the living room to feed my itunes collection from an emac and internet into the tv/hifi which works a treat and my original imac revb is still going strong at a friend's house.
The only piece of redundant equipment here at the moment is an apple 17"studio display which I want as a slave screen for the G4 - just haven't got the right connectors at the moment and not fully sure that it will run both screens.
Perhaps I should aim towards opening a mac museum when I retire. Now there's a reason to upgrade!

The Doom 3 looks a bit strong for me (you nasty piece of work) I'm more of a myst man myself but go through phases of gaming and I'm in 'out' mode at the moment.

-have fun

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard....

Yes, I have gone in and out of gaming too. I've bought and sold both a pc and playstation before because I acquired them for games and then when I wasn't playing 'em for a while.....I don't like getting too absorbed though as it obviously distracts you from working / learning but I suppose I could use some tension relief now and again. Never tried it on the mac before though, was always worried it would screw up the functioning of the design programs etc.

Doom reminds me of a cross between Half Life (medical facility, experiments go wrong, abnormalities / monsters are created) and Alien Vs Predator (the adventure game with face huggers) as the corridors are dark and scary so you have to use a flashlight to find out if there are any zombies heading towards you. And then, it's like "ahhhhhh" quickly change to shotgun and as you attack, the surrounding area is lit up by gunfire.
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

RMCrookes
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- sounds scary -
Games are so addictive aren't they. I do enjoy them but I find I end up not being able to switch off and end up playing them in my sleep, so as I'm a bit of an insomniac and need all the sweet dreams I can get I try and limit myself.

Just trialling a new sleeping technique - ............................................. with a baseball bat. It works a treat but there are a few side effects!

Jess
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont they get really hot? and hows the battery life on it?.

I have a collection of powerpc based mac's, the powerbook thats basiclly my "personal" computer, a G4 1.65GHz (former 1GHz) thats now my email server and the iBook. But I thought that with the coming intel marked the end for the mac. but it appears I was wrong.

Congrats on your new mac =^^=, I hear CS3 is to be universal and ever better am to get it free ^^ (thanks the gods of sunderland uni)

Have Fun

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Dont they get really hot? and hows the battery life on it?"

Interestingly, yes. Particularly since I've been absorbed in World Of Warcraft and keep scorching my legs. Must remember to put a cushion underneath the laptop. This one seems hotter than my previous comp. Maybe I use it too much? Battery lasts about 2 and a half hours now, I think. It is advertised as 4 and 1/2 but they seem to depricate fairly quickly. Am told it helps to unplug as soon as charged each time but who can remember to do that? ie: like other battery-powered items, let it run down completely.

Wouldn't be without a powerbook, portable, easy-to use, efficient, aesthetically pleasing, no viruses or re-installs, my little design program icons bouncing in the dock. And with wireless, I can work or surf the net anywhere in the house, even on the toilet! Horray....

RMCrookes
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can work or surf the net anywhere in the house, even on the toilet! Horray....

Now that image is permanently etched into my mind.

Are you in there now Jen?
http://www.zazzle.co.uk/rwcrux

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na am slouched in bed, watching "I Spit On Your Grave" and tidying html code. Hmmm....might make a cheese toastie in a min.

Jess
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opticalparadox wrote:
"nterestingly, yes. Particularly since I've been absorbed in World Of Warcraft and keep scorching my legs. Must remember to put a cushion underneath the laptop. This one seems hotter than my previous comp. Maybe I use it too much? Battery lasts about 2 and a half hours now, I think. It is advertised as 4 and 1/2 but they seem to depricate fairly quickly. Am told it helps to unplug as soon as charged each time but who can remember to do that? ie: like other battery-powered items, let it run down completely.

Hmm that was the main reason I am not going to upgrade till they fix that, The PB I own is nice and almost cold all the time while my pc based laptop often over heats and worries me lots (I only have it cos my dad got me it).

It too has less than the advertised life of 4 1/2 hours (based on the Core2 like the macbook/pro) but barely makes 1 1/2 hours or in mac os x mode (well darwin) 3 hours.

I don't think I will be upgrading, my PowerBook is fine, its of 2004 vintage but its been with me all over, even of the oddist of photographic and urbanx trips (even to the point off been dropped 3 floors down a lift shaft I didnt notice lol).

The main worry I'd have with a macbook pro is the battery life. the amount of times Ive been very glad I had a PB was I have been without power in the middle of nowhere (The PowerBook I have does 5 Hours on normal mode with the Official PowerBook battery and about 12h all in with the modified battery).

lol when I was looking at them in the London Apple store, I asked do you stock the new laptops and almost instantly I was told "they cant be used on your lap any more miss, now they are "Notebooks".
I just blinked lol

opticalparadox wrote:

Wouldn't be without a powerbook, portable, easy-to use, efficient, aesthetically pleasing, no viruses or re-installs, my little design program icons bouncing in the dock. And with wireless, I can work or surf the net anywhere in the house, even on the toilet! Horray....

I agree, on the way back from a commission job about a year ago, I was able to upload the shots to the clients ftp server while riding on the train and I have yet to have a crash on the PowerBook.

Btw Why did they change the name, I personally think "MacBook" sounds like they thought it up on closing time friday

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I asked do you stock the new laptops and almost instantly I was told "they cant be used on your lap any more miss, now they are "Notebooks".

Ahh, I didn't know there was a recognised problem with excess heat on the macbooks. I know they've had some problems with faulty batteries recently. Mine was one, it expanded and so I had to get it replaced. This battery seems fine though. Hmm....it's probably more 3 hours than 2 1/2.

Well, I hope they get the overheating resolved by the time I upgrade / trade in again. Thanks for the head's up. Good to have another mac lover onboard. I started off with a beige G3 desktop in 97, it was top of the range with an 8gb hardrive! You could only use one design program at a time, it couldn't handle multi-tasking then.

Amazing how quickly technology improves. It seems to be a help and a hindrance, as you have to keep forking out to upgrade your computer (pcs or macs) to stay up-to-date.

RMCrookes
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I hope they get the overheating resolved by the time I upgrade

I hope not... what will I use to bake my puddings Mad

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee, hee you are so witty, you and Ian. Love it. Very Happy

Ian Moore
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon Richards puddings are cooked enough Surprised

RMCrookes
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye varlet!

to cast aspersions on my culinary prowess by way of besmirching my good name.

Batter mix at dawn!

Mad

Ian Moore
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See how aggressive he's got since he changed his avatar to the Baby Eating Bishop of Bath Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : general discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: