Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adventure & Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : general discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Ian Moore
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Adventure & Experience Reply with quote

Do you find that when you look at the life you have lead so far, with an eye out for the most exciting and adventurous bits, that most of the good stuff happened when you were young?

Do we learn, as we grow older, how to avoid dangerous and stressful situations, and end up constructing for ourselves a safe, and rather dull world?

Or is it just me?

Who's an adventure junkie? Who is cocooned in safety? Who's got the balance just to their liking? Who is disatisfied and yearns for a spicier lifestyle?

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to find more of a work / life balance. That's why I'm off to Edinburgh for the weekend. Am planning on letting my hair down and getting drunk but won't be dancing on tables etc.
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

RMCrookes
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought after your last post, you were on the wagon. Go on go for it girl. paint the town red!

Not feeling very adventurous myself at the moment - down with a bit of flu and only just about functioning.
http://www.zazzle.co.uk/rwcrux

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Na, I'm far from an alcoholic. If anything I don't drink enough these days but I know a few who have in the past and still are, hence the poem about alcoholism. I think it's a serious issue that is not addressed enough in the UK, binge drinking etc. (See cigarettes and alcohol post under miscellaneous for further thoughts)
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

Ian Moore
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - not picking up much adventurous spirit here, guys.

I'm far from Indiana Jones myself, but it's playing on my mind at the moment. Must be my age. I'm gonna do something. I'm gonna widen my field of experience. Haven't got any specifics yet, but it's becoming important to me to stay awake to being alive. When I was little every day was a mini adventure. I kind of miss it. As we get older we decided we know how things are, how the world works, and the days all start to look the same. Don't want my days to become homogenized Crying or Very sad

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should go travelling around the world?

Ian Moore
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of travel would be good.

But I am a bit intimidated by it, and going alone doesn't really appeal, though I know lots of people do that.

I've booked myself a ticket for the Green Man Festival in August, just to get me out of the house (never know what to do with my annual leave these days). So I may well end up going to that on my own. I'm inviting everybody I like along, but 3-day festivals of folky, hippy type music aren't for everyone - it'll probably end up just me.

You guys should come. We could be the Artistic Directory Quarter.

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But I am a bit intimidated by it" I imagine that's how unadventurous folks generally feel, they want to go travelling, see the world, explore, have wild experiences but are scared or lack confidence. I'd like to go but certain fears hinder me, along with obvious financial issues. I feel safe and protected at home in hermitsville. But I can appreciate there is something quite liberating by throwing a few things in a bag and going away.

In contrast to your views, I actually feel freer than when I was younger, all those hormones racing around, confusing me. I am more comfortable in myself but am not at the more adventurous stage of existence yet. I seem to live through such experiences in virtual terms through films, books and my imagination. I guess that's what creative writers do?

Ian Moore
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess so.

My writer hero Alan Moore is always described as a recluse. He lives in Northhampton and seldom ventures anywhere else. He says he doesn't need to: he travels to wild and mysterious realms in his mind.

This is fair enough.

But there's something to be said for the unexpected. And you certainly get that when you travel to new places. It's not always welcome unexpected, but then again, sometimes it can be delightful unexpected. I like the way my senses are sharper when I'm in a new place. I notice colours, textures, smells more vividly because I'm paying more attention.

And I'm also cultivating a more relaxed attitude to not being in control of my surroundings. It's good to have the feeling that I will be able to cope, regardless of how easy or challenging my immediate surroundings may be. I mean, I'm not talking about going to a war torn country or anything - just a few new horizons.

Pay attention to your senses when you are in Edinburgh, see if it what I'm saying makes any sense.

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister's boyfriend's grandad came for tea the other day and seemed to have infinite travelling stories. One featured a welcoming party of two men with long beards that reached down to the ground, who fired muskets into the air. So if you were to go travelling, where would you go?

I think I'd like to see the Egyptian Pyramids and then worry about getting sand and dirt in my skin and the remoteness of travelling by camel or whatever. And the heat.

I think that places with a very spiritual nature would appeal to me, Tibet, Japan, Thailand maybe. But then again I may wory about getting thrown in a foreign jail under a misunderstanding or being kidnapped and murdered.

I guess such fears keep me from living a full life ie: a life lived in fear is a life half-lived. I like the idea of Peru from reading The Celestine Prophecy. Somewhere green and beautiful with ancient ruins, statues or ornaments.

Ian Moore
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, the thing I find most intimidating is the language barrier.

This is interesting because I went to the pics with Ben last night to see Babel. Babel has four interconnected stories all dealing with people who can't communicate with each other for one reason or other. The stories are set in Morroco, Japan and either side of the Mexican/Californian border. I thought it was a brilliant film.

But yeah, harsh conditions, strange food, unexpected events - not worried about that kind of stuff much. But not being able to understand, or be understood, that idea freaks me out a bit.

But there are so many English speaking countries in the world, it doesn't exactly restrict me really.

Anyway, I have to stand by my pact with Ben to go to Tunisia on my birthday, either this year or next. That'll learn me.

RMCrookes
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have a go at the green man festival - I see Robert Plant is on and he apparently did a storming set at womad last year. Will check dates.

When I lived in france, I loved it - everything was fresh and different - even the litter on the streets seems different. It was very dodgy financially but I certainly felt very much alive there, living on my wits.

I suppose now being a half-wit, you may have a point Ian.

I'm not a great traveller. I'd like to do the driving across america bit and I must do Norway and perhaps some more european countries but I can't stand the heat and have no desire at all to go east/far east, australia. Maybe Japan but the flying would put me off, I hate it.
http://www.zazzle.co.uk/rwcrux

Ian Moore
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh! That'll be exciting, if you do the Green Man. It's supposed to have a very mellow atmosphere.

Also, Joanna Newsom is playing. I only recently got an album of her's, but after seeing a few pics I've decided to fall in love with her. Maybe I could help her carry her harp.

What can we do to persuade Jen to come along too?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : general discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: