Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Man-Made Global Warming? Fact Or Fiction?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Man-Made Global Warming? Fact Or Fiction? Reply with quote

I watched the documentary by Al Gore, 'An Inconvienient Truth.' Some of his presentation / slideshow is highlighted in this video >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJTDSEPSfhk&NR=1 -

Then I read about 'The Great Global Warming Swindle' documentary, some points which are highlighted in this video >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4boaEbtjByU&mode=related&search=

More here >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNCgoiGYjM&mode=related&search=

Now, I'm totally confused. What is under dispute is whether global warming is actually man-made, caused by carbon emissions or just the natural ebb and flow of the sun's temperature, which implies that nothing we do on earth will make any significant difference.

The former argument suggests that CO2 causes the ozone layer to become denser, which traps in the sun's rays (the greenhouse effect) and therefore increases the earth's temperature. The latter argument suggests that CO2 makes up only 0.1% of the atmosphere and that there is an 800 year lag of rise in CO2 after the temperature has risen.

Unfortunately, I am not a scientist. As usual there seems to be evidence either way but both sides can be accused of political bias and warping statistics to meet their objectives. What is the truth? Are the environmentalists genuine in their moral intentions or is the issue being abused to curry political favour ie: David Cameron, to get more funding for research or from the public ie: recycling tax fines?

Are those opposed trying to protect their interests in oil or automobiles or hungry to maintain power over industry / technology? A couple of the talking heads featured have apparently tried to ban the release of the documentary and the director has allegedly been accused of presenting fraudulent facts before. Is this another lie?

I just don't know what to believe now, maybe I'm actually becoming a sceptic. I can see how the majority of media, news, documentaries are full of propaganda / spin with one-sided views. However, I'll continue tearing my windows off envelopes regardless.....
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

Wendy W
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of the scientific community seem to be on the side that we are causing climate change to some extent. Although there is evidence to suggest that the climate will alter without our input, the rate at which it's changing doesn't match up with what scientists think should be happening. The only thing anyone can find that could be disrupting the pattern is us.

Ian Moore
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we can't know with much degree of accuracy just what effect we are having on climate. But why should that matter to us anyway? Can't we simply look after the world as best we can just cos it's kind of a nice thing to do?

I haven't the time, energy or inclination to think about politics. I'll do my best to maintain my own personal integrity. I reckon that's plenty to be getting on with in one lifetime.

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument against that is that many scientists are afraid to speak up as there is a stigma attached, that "denying global warming is like denying the holocaust." Just reiterating what I've heard. Like I said I'm lost. Ever since school I was taught that CFCs etc damage the ozone layer. Read some comments about the vastness of the oceans and lands, and how insignificant man-made industry / factories are by comparison and how arrogant human beings are to believe they can have such a significant impact on the ancient earth.
Optical Paradox: design solutions - web design leeds, web design harrogate, web design barnsley | Artistic Directory & Forum - uk art directory, online portfolios, artists resources | Epiphany: Open your mind, Evolve as a human being

Ian Moore
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why are you lost? What decisions are difficult for you?

opticalparadox
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I haven't the time, energy or inclination to think about politics. I'll do my best to maintain my own personal integrity."

Hmmm.....but it's hard to make informed decisions if the public are being manipulated. It's quite upsetting, I have too much faith in human nature it seems. Why can't folks just tell the truth? I suppose people often think they are doing the right thing, even when it is wrong to others. Do those with integrity / ethics actually understand the science involved? I'm rambling. I guess I'll find some resolution on the subject after a while. I currently feel drained by the sceptical / cynics who often appear quite heartless in their reasoned logic.

Ian Moore
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen, me lovely chum, I'm still not sure I understand where you are lost.

I understand it can be difficult to know who to believe, or who to give credibilty to in matters of science and politics, etc. But I'm not sure why that needs to be an issue anyway.

Perhaps the world is getting hotter, perhaps it is getting colder - I've heard arguments for both. But regardless of those arguments I just carry on being me, trying not to be wasteful, trying to recycle what I can.

What behaviour do you think you would modify if you knew who to believe?

RMCrookes
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brainwave....

If everyone left their fridge door open for half an hour a day, I think that might just about solve it.

I do tend to think that it probably is happening and some of it's probably our fault but I think the rate of change is one we can adapt to (and are doing).
http://www.zazzle.co.uk/rwcrux
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Artistic Directory Forum Index : miscellaneous All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: